Race Recap for the Alsco 300
Sunday May 26th, Race Recap
Date: May 25, 2019
Event: Alsco 300 (Round 11 of 33)
Location: Charlotte (Concord, NC) Motor Speedway (1.50 Mile Oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
No. 68 Vero – True Social Chevrolet – 25th/20th (completed 198/200 laps)
No. 86 Solid Rock Carriers Chevrolet – 36th/30th (completed 100/200 laps)
17th – No. 86 (171 points, 139 out of the playoffs)
15th – Brandon Brown (221 points, 98 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner:Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
- Brandon Brown qualified 25th and started 38th because of a pre-race penalty for unapproved adjustments, finished 15th.
- Mason Diaz started 36th, finished 31st.
- The monumental weekend for Brandonbilt Motorsports (2 entries) was a roller coaster with ups and downs. Starting with a spin early in opening practice and continuing into the second practice and qualifying, the team persevered. The two drivers, Brandon Brown and Mason Diaz, started 25th and 36th respectively.
- Brown quickly moved through the field, running lap times mirroring the top-5. He was scored just outside the top 15, 20 laps into the event.
- Following early contact with the outside wall, Mason Diaz’s Adam Brenner lead crew were fighting from behind. Falling 3 laps down by the end of Stage 1, the team continued working hard at gaining back track position.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
- Brandon Brown started 17th, finished 28th.
- Mason Diaz started 30th, finished 29th.
- Diaz would take the wave-around to start Stage 2 and on old tires was told to be patient and hope for a caution. Unfortunately, that caution came at the expense of a spin by Brown in the No. 68. On lap 66, oil was put down on the race track by another competitor, causing Brown and two others to lose control entering turns 1 and 2.
- Following the incident the field went green with 18 laps remaining in Stage 2, where Brown was -1 lap in 29th and Diaz -2 laps in 30th.
- When the green-checkered flew for the end of Stage 2, Brown was scored in 28th and Diaz 29th. Both crews working hard to repair damage whilst attempting to regain track position.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
- Brandon Brown started 25th, finished 20th
- Mason Diaz started 28th, finished 30th
- On the ensuing restart following the wave around on Diaz’s No. 86, he lost brakes entering turn 3 and slid into the fence; ending the day prematurely for the flagship BMS car. Unofficially in the 30th position.
- Brown continued on thus gaining the lucky dog. He was back on the lead lap and running just inside the top 20 for the majority of the final stage. Brown was also able to miss two close incidents in the process.
- After missing a spinning car, Brown had a flat tire and pitted under green. Costing him two crucial laps on the track. This relegated Brown to a 20th place finish, his 10th top-20 in 11 events in 2019.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is in the Pocono Green 250 on Saturday June 1st at Pocono Raceway. The race starts at 1pm EST with live coverage provided by FS1.