Race Recap for the Camping World 300
Saturday, June 29th Race Recap
Date: June 29,2019
Event: Camping World 300 (Round 15 of 33)
Location: Chicagoland Speedway (1.500 Tri-Oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 BMSRaceTeam.com Chevrolet – 31st/23rd (completed 198/200 laps)
18th- No. 86 (244 points, 183 out of the playoffs)
14th – Brandon Brown (276 points, 135 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Joey Logano of Penske Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 31st, finished 22nd.
● Brown was loose in qualifying and struggled with a loose race car early on but quickly moved up positions. He was 24th by lap 3 and settled in on chasing down the top-20.
● A lot of ‘Cup-Affiliated’ race teams showed up to Chicagoland, 18 to be exact and Brown showed the power by working passed the No. 81 and after a caution flag flew, Brown settled into 22nd while fighting a loose-handling car.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 20th, finished 18th.
● The No. 86 Elevated Performance pit crew picked up two positions on pit road and the Chevrolet was tightened up, Brown began picking off positions and ran his fastest lap of the race (for the time).
● Following a pair of yellow flags, Brown stayed out on old tires and waited for the end of the stage to put sticker tires on, hoping the fresher tires would be an advantage.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
● Brandon Brown started 19th, finished 23rd
● Once the final stage of the race began, a caution flew and Brown came to pit road to continue adjusting on the loose race car. When the No. 86 team did, it pulled a track bar wrench out of the pit box and was hit with a one-lap penalty.
● This penalty resulted in Brown going three laps down by the time pit cycles began and although the team received a wave-around, they were relegated to a 23rd place finish.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is in the Coca-Cola Firecracker 250 on Friday, July 5th at Daytona International Speedway. The race starts at 7:30pm EST with live coverage provided by NBCSN.