Race Recap for the SportsClips Haircuts VFW 200
Sunday, September 1, 2019 Race Recap
September 1, ,2019
Event: SportsClips Haircuts VFW 200 (Round 24 of 33)
Location: Darlington (1.366 Mile Egg-Shaped Oval)
Format: 147 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/57 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Coastal Carolina University Chevrolet – 19th/33rd (completed 85/147 laps)
18th- No. 86 (409 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (423 points)
Race Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Ryan Blaney of Team Penske
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 19th, finished 13th.
● Brown had a solid qualifying effort once again, this time at a track he has shown success at multiple times. Expecting a top-20 effort and a good points day Brown quickly improved from his 19th starting position to the inside of the top-15 by lap 20.
● Brown would close out the first stage in the 13th position before his pit crew picked him up an additional two (2) positions on pit road.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 11th, finished 33rd.
● On the ensuing restart, Brown was caught up in a racing incident that required serious damage control. The pit crew worked hard to correct the problem areas, fixing the deck lid and spoiler. Brown returned to the track but the damage was tearing apart the tires making the handling almost unbearable. He would retire after 85 laps in the 33rd position.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 21-45):
● Brandon Brown started 32nd, finished 33rd
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is in the Indiana 250 on Saturday, September 7th at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway, IN. The race starts at 3:00 pm EST with live coverage provided by NBCSN.