Race Recap for the Use Your Melon Drive Sober 200
Sunday, October 6th, Race Recap
Date October 5, 2019
Event: Use Your Melon Drive Sober 200 (Round 29 of 33)
Location: Dover International Speedway (1-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 JABS Construction Chevrolet 21st/11th (completed 198/200 laps)
Point Standing: 18th – No. 86 (477 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (502 points)
Race Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart Haas Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Justin Allgaier of JR Motorsports
Stage 2 Winner: Justin Allgaier of JR Motorsports
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 21st and finished 12th
● Brown and his No. 86 team started the 200-mile event with questionable conditions as they had been fighting how the car handled all weekend, but when the green flag dropped Brown put that behind as he trekked from 21st to inside the top-15 in one lap, avoiding a wreck.
● Brown continued to improve his positioning, running inside the top-15 every lap except for 9 laps (green flag pit cycle). The JABS Construction Chevy was brought home in the P12 position for Stage 1.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 14th and finished 12th.
● Brown restarted 14th and did not waste any time looking to get towards the top-10 and stage points, being held up on the restart held him towards the back half of the top-15, once clear, Brown was the 6th fastest car on the track for 10+ consecutive laps, passing for 13th and then 12th, running out of time to get to the top-10.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
● Brandon Brown started 10th and finished 11th.
● Finally, Brown cracked the top-10 following the awesome work of the Elevated Performance pit crew, this pushed Brown inside the top-10 and he held it until Lap 167 when he was passed for 10th and lapped by Chase Briscoe.
● The final pit stop took place under green flag conditions, 5 laps later an untimely caution stuck the No. 86 crew -3 laps, looking for a wave around in the 13th position. Brown then passed for 12th and eventually passing Series Championship Favorite Tyler Reddick for 11th just before the checkered flag.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Kansas Lottery 300 @ Kansas Speedway on October 19th. The race starts at 3:00 pm EST on NBC.