Race Recap for the EcoBoost 300
Sunday, November 17th, Race Recap
Date: November 16, 2019
Event: EcoBoost 300 (Round 33 of 33)
Location: Homestead-Miami Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Kelly Benefit Strategies Chevrolet 32nd/22nd (completed 197/200 laps)
No. 68 Vero True-Social Chevrolet 23rd/13th (completed 199/200 laps)
Point Standing: 19th – No. 86 (528 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (562 points)
Race Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Austin Cindric of Team Penske
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
- Brandon Brown started 23rd and finished 15th
- Will Rodgers started 32nd and finished 22nd
- The final race of the 2019 season brought back the second car for Brandonbilt Motorsports, which Brandon Brown qualified into the race, starting 23rd and quickly moving inside the top-20 and ultimately ending up 15th through a handful of yellow flags.
- Rodgers, making his mile-and-a-half debut in the NASCAR Xfinity Series only had seven laps of practice and improved tremendously early on in the race, moving inside the top-25 before ultimately finishing Stage 1 in the 22nd position.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
- Brandon Brown started 17th and finished 14th.
- Will Rodgers started 24th and finished 23rd.
- Brown restarted 17th after pit stops and made contact early in the second stage (later to find a flat RR tire) and completed the stage with 0.9 lbs of air in the RR tire, impressively Brown continued to gain positions with the nearly impossible to drive No. 68 car, taking the green-checkered in P14.
- Rodgers fought his own problems, radio issues rid the team the ability to hear the young driver, using hand signals to show that he was loose around the 1.5-mile speedway. Crew Chief Doug Randolph made a big track bar adjustment that helped the driver keep the rear of the car underneath him for the remainder of Stage 2.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
- Brandon Brown started 19th and finished 13th.
- Will Rodgers started 27th and finished 22nd.
- The third and final stage of the season saw Brown start at the rear of the field after fixing damage caused by the flat RR tire. Brown would drive his way through the field, pit under green with 38 laps remaining to take advantage of tires later in the event. Brown would come out of pit road in 16th and end his rookie season with a 13th place finish, his 10th top-15 in 2019
- Rodgers would continue to ask to be loosened up and after a failed jack, he too would have to start at the rear of the field, Rodgers would make his way through the slower cars and pit earlier in the final stage to keep pace with the leaders. No caution flag would fall and with Rodgers closing in on two competitors for the position, he would ultimately run out of time, finishing in the 22nd position.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the NASCAR Racing Experience 300 @ Daytona International Speedway, the 2020 Season Opener. The race starts at 3:30 PM EST on February 15th 2020 on NBCSN.