Race Recap for the Indiana 250
Sunday, September 8th, Race Recap
Date: September 7, 2019
Event: Indiana 250 (Round 25 of 33)
Location: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile rounded-rectangle)
Format: 100 laps in three stages (30 laps/30 laps/40 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Vero – True Social Chevrolet – 31st/28th (completed 97/100 laps)
Point Standing: 18th – No. 86 (418 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (432 points)
Race Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Brandon Jones of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Justin Allgaier of JR Motorsports
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-30):
● Brandon Brown started 31st and finished 19th.
● Brown and his No. 86 team started the race Saturday just trying to find more speed in the Vero – True Social machine. Qualifying 31st left a sour taste in their mouths and the team wanted to show their muscle in the 250-mile event.
● Following a pair of yellow flags and various pit strategies, Brown went from running 23rd to being inside the top-15 with less than 2 to go in Stage 1. The drafting package at Indianapolis beat up on Brown at the end of the stage, where he finished 19th.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 31-60):
● Brandon Brown started 10th and finished 32nd.
● Brown restarted 10th in Stage 2 after staying out under the break. He drafted with the No. 20 of Christopher Bell, all the way up inside the top-8 before his car broke loose on entry and sliding up to the wall. The team would lose two (2) laps fixing the damage and nursing it back to the end of Stage 2.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 61-100):
● Brandon Brown started 31st and finished 28th.
● Continuing to learn and build on what the crew brought, the team did a phenomenal job getting the car back close to static, Brown running laps within tenths of his best lap of the weekend.
● After a big wreck upfront and the wave around eligible cautions, Brandon Brown brought home the No. 86 in the 28th position, a devastating result for such a strong run.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Rhino Pro Truck Outfitters 300 @ Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The race starts at 7:30 pm EST on NBCSN.