Race Recap for the U.S. Cellular 250
Sunday, July 28th, Race Recap
Date July 27, 2019
Event: U.S. Cellular 250 (Round 19 of 33)
Location: Iowa Speedway (0.875-mile oval)
Format: 250 laps in three stages (60 laps/60 laps/130 laps)
Start/Finish No. 68 American Liver Foundation Chevrolet – 21st//28th (completed 211/250 laps)
No. 86 Vero – True Social Chevrolet – 20th/27th (completed 217/250 laps)
Point Standing: 17th – No. 86 (335 points, 238 out of the playoffs)
15th – Brandon Brown (361 points, 148 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60):
● Brandon Brown started 20th and finished 16th.
● Will Rodgers started 21st and finished 37th
● The second weekend for Brandonbilt Motorsports with (2 entries) was another roller coaster with ups and downs. Both cars picked up speed throughout the weekend and while both cars had top-15 speed they were relegated to finish outside the top-25.
● Brown started 20th and as always picked up spots early, taking advantage of restarting on the much more preferred top groove. Brown settled in 16th and following an early caution would pit for fuel only, saving the tires for the next stage. He ended up 16th.
● Rodgers, making his NASCAR National Series debut had the opposite luck, starting on the inside lane he was passed early by 3-4 cars all who carried the momentum from the top. Unfortunately, around lap 30 the No. 68 was forced to take it to the garage to repair a wheel hub issue on the right rear. Rodgers would spend 37 laps in the garage.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-120):
● Brandon Brown started 14th and finished 11th.
● Will Rodgers started 37th, finished 34th.
● Brown fought hard to stay on the lead lap and after avoiding a spin by the No.18, he would take advantage of his competition once again on the restart. He cycled by in eleventh and was chasing Stage Points for the latter part of Stage 2. The green-checkered flew as Brown went by .298 seconds behind 10th place Justin Allgaier.
● Rodgers returned to the track -37 laps and quickly found a groove, his lap times compared to that of 17th place consistently.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 121-250):
● Brandon Brown started 15th and finished 27th
● Will Rodgers started 34th and finished 28th
● Rodgers spent the remainder of the race learning the cars, learning the track and the avid road course racer found speed on the circle track of Iowa. Rodgers ended up 28th, -39 laps but ran lap times that mirrored that of 11th place finisher Ray Black Jr.
● Brown continued, but while running 16th with 33 laps remaining his motor expired and in a big way. Luckily Brown was okay and he drove it to the garage and walked away. He finished 27th, down 32 laps.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is in the Zippo 200 @ The Glen on Saturday, August 3rd at Watkins Glen International. The race starts at 3:00 pm EST on NBC.