Race Recap for the Desert Diamond West Valley Casino 200
Sunday, November 10th, Race Recap
Date: November 9, 2019
Event: Desert Diamond West Valley Casino 200 (Round 32 of 33)
Location: ISM Raceway( 1.0 mile dog-leg oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Mid-Atlantic Wrecker Service Chevrolet 17th/20th (completed 198/200 laps)
Point Standing: 19th – No. 86 (513 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (538 points)
Race Winner: Justin Allgaier of JR Motorsports
Stage 1 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 17h and finished 14th
● The penultimate race of the 2019 season began with Brandon Brown and his No. 86 team quickly improving from his 17th place starting position, running 13th by lap 5.
● Brown ran between 12th and 15th the entire stage, fighting the handling in the center of the corner. Brown asked to be loosened up slightly and for more fire off speed in the next stage, ultimately ending up 14th in Stage 1.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 16th and finished 15th.
● Brown restarted 16th after pit stops and completed a bold move around the outside of turn 2, three wide, passing four cars through the first couple of corners.
● The air pressure adjustment helped the center of the corner but made it difficult to throttle up upon exiting the corner (loose). Brown stayed on the lead lap and finished top-15 in a stage for the 40th time in his rookie season.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
● Brandon Brown started 16th and finished 20th.
● The third and final stage started with a caution 15 laps in, creating a fuel mileage race. Crew Chief Doug Randolph made the call for fuel only, hoping to have an advantage on tires if there was a late-race caution. A strategy that could have placed the No. 86 inside the top-10.
● The caution would never come and with 30 laps remaining Brown was told to hit lap time 29.8 and save fuel. Brown would do just that, but as he came to take the white flag the race car sputtered and Brown had to limp home to a 20th place finish.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the EcoBoost 300 @ Homestead-Miami Speedway. The race starts at 3:30 PM EST on November 16th on NBCSN.