Race Recap for the Kansas Lottery 300
Sunday, October 20th, Race Recap
Date October 19, 2019
Event: Kansas Lottery 300 (Round 30 of 33)
Location: Kansas Speedway (1.5-mile tri-oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Vero – True Social Chevrolet 18th/18th (completed 197/200 laps)
19th – No. 86 (496 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (521 points)
Race Winner: Brandon Jones of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 18th and finished 15th
● Brown and his No. 86 team started the 300-mile event on a colder and greener race track than they had been on all weekend and Brown quickly moved inside the top-15.
● Through a handful of yellow flags to start the Kansas Lottery 300, Brown took advantage of restarts as he fought a loose entry later in a run. Staying on the lead lap inside the top-15, the Vero-True Social Chevrolet looked primed for another solid run.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 16th and finished 12th.
● Brown restarted 16th after pit stops and a fueling issue (air pocket) and swiftly moved past some of the faster race cars once again, passing Cup-Affiliated organizations and fighting to stay on the lead lap, which he would once again do, this time just outside of scoring stage points.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
● Brandon Brown started 14th and finished 18th.
● The third and final stage started with a scare on pit road when the tire carrier of the pit box behind Brown stepped in front of the No. 86 traveling at pit road speed (45 mph). He was okay but costing Brown a pair of positions before the restart.
● Brown would eventually get lapped, running in the 11th position before contact with the outside wall forced an unscheduled pit stop with less than 40 laps remaining. The team is unable to make up for the -3 laps and was relegated to an 18th place finish. Brown’s 20th top-20 of his rookie season.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the O’Reilly Auto Parts 300 @ Texas Motor Speedway. The race starts at 8:30 PM EST on November 2nd on NBCSN.