Race Recap for the Rhino ProTruck Outfitters 300
Sunday, September 15th, Race Recap
Date: September 14, 2019
Event: Rhino ProTruck Outfitters 300 (Round 26 of 33)
Location: Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile tri-oval)
Format: 200 laps in three stages (45 laps/45 laps/110 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Vero – True Social Chevrolet 17th/16th (completed 198/200 laps)
18th – No. 86 (438 points)
15th – Brandon Brown (452 points)
Race Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Brandon Brown started 17th and finished 16th
● Brown and his No. 86 team started the 300-mile event in 100+ degree temperatures and Brown excelled on the hot, slick race track. He found his groove and settled into 16th early on.
● In the closing laps, Brown found himself chasing down Xfinity Series legend Elliott Sadler for the lucky dog position and 15th place and unfortunately lost the side-by-side battle in Stage 1.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Brandon Brown started 16th and finished 16th.
● Brown restarted 16th and once again was racing for the lucky dog position, trying to stay one lap down while everybody else was either on the lead lap or -2 laps. Again, Brown just missed it by a matter of feet, putting him -2 laps but in prime position to gain laps back as the third and final stage began.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 91-200):
● Brandon Brown started 16th and finished 16th. *** Original finish was P17. Because of a disqualification, the final position was changed to 16th.
● A pair of cautions within the first 30 laps of the final stage put the No. 86 team back on the lead lap and running inside the top-15 for the majority of the final stage.
● Fuel mileage became a factor as Brown reached as high as third in the running order with less than 20 laps remaining. The gamble would not pay off as it did for others. Brown would give up third place to come down and pit for four tires and fuel. He would come back out on track in 21st and pass his way up to 17th before the checkered flag flew.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Go Bowling 250 @ Richmond Raceway. The race starts at 7:30 pm EST on NBCSN.