Race Recap for the B&L Transport 170
Date: August 10, 2019
Event: B&L Transport 170 (Round 21 of 33)
Location: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (2.258-mile road course)
Format: 82 laps in three stages (20 laps/20 laps/42 laps)
No. 68 KELLY Benefit Strategies Chevrolet – 22nd/12th (completed 75/75 laps)
No. 86 Vero – True Social Chevrolet 32nd/24th (completed 74/75laps)
18th – No. 86 (379 points, 260 out of the playoffs)
15th – Brandon Brown (374 points, 175 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Austin Cindric of Team Penske
Stage 1 Winner: Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Jack Hawksworth of JGR
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-20):
● Brandon Brown started 32nd and finished 16th
● Will Rodgers started 22nd and finished 11th
● Brown started the day back in 32nd after qualifying on scuff tires. Brown spent the majority of the first stage avoiding trouble and learning the track. He cycled towards the front during pit stops and ended up 16th.
● Rodgers, making just his second (2nd) career Xfinity Series start was also staying out of trouble and keeping his nose clean, all whilst making passes towards the front, running 17th just five (5) laps into the 75 lap event.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 21-40):
● Brandon Brown started 26th and finished 21st
● Will Rodgers started 22nd and finished 18th
● Brown put on another set of scuffed tires and once again hung around the low-mid ’20s before getting spun out racing for 22nd. He would get stuck in the sand trap and go down a lap. Following two (2) quick yellows, Brown was back on the lead lap.
● Rodgers would continue his strong run by racing around top-notch equipment and cycling through the field two times over. He needed more rotation in the car and would pit with 6 to go in the Stage attempting to gain track position at the end of the stage.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 41-75):
● Brandon Brown started 3rd and finished 24th
● Will Rodgers started 8th and finished 12th
● Brown’s misfortune turned into fortune as his untimely spin and pit would cycle him to the front, restarting third as the third and final stage began. Brown would get pushed around and he would push back. He would cycle out in 16th and would be intentionally spun with eight (8) laps to go. He would finish 24th.
● Rodgers strategy would play into his favor as crew chief Doug Randolph made the call for fuel only as he only had 1 Lap of green flag racing on his tires. Rodgers would restart eighth and would settle in the seventh position. Following some fall off, he would end up in the twelfth position.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Food City 300 @ Bristol Motor Speedway on Friday night, August 16th. The race starts at 7:30 pm EST on NBCSN.