Race Recap for the Pocono Green 250
Sunday June 2, Race Recap
Date: June 1, 2019
Event: Pocono Green 250 (Round 12 of 33)
Location: Pocono (Long Pond, PA) Raceway (2.5 Mile Triangle-Oval)
Format: 100 laps in three stages (25 laps/25 laps/50 laps)
Start/Finish: No. 86 Vector Security/Open Eye Chevrolet – 27th/13th (completed 103/103 laps)
17th – No. 86 (219 points, 142 out of the playoffs)
15th – Brandon Brown (245 points, 75 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Cole Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Justin Allgaier of JR Motorsports
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-25):
- Brandon Brown started 27th, finished 13th.
- Brandon Brown was not happy with his qualifying effort as he felt there was more speed to be had between him and the car and he showed it early on. Going from 27th to 15th in just two laps (five miles).
- The first stage was tough to find a rhythm as there were more caution flag laps run than green flag laps. Brown would settle in in 15th and would gain positions as other drivers tried strategies at the end of Stage 1.
- Brown reported he was tight but couldn’t find a rhythm so he asked Crew Chief Adam Brenner to not go too far on an adjustment. They pitted from 13th and would restart 18th for stage 2.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 26-50):
- Brandon Brown started 21st, finished 14th.
- Brown once again, did not waste any time making up positions on the restart. Brown executed a pass off of turn 2 that put him in 16th.
- Brown would settle in the 16th position, riding and finding a rhythm and running his fastest laps of the entire event. This No. 86 car was the same Chevy Camaro the team ran at Dover in May and BMS as a whole felt confident going into the weekend, these lap times were proof.
- Knowing the team had to make a two more pit stops regardless the Vector Security supported team made an effort to gain stage points and stay out, unfortunately 13 other teams in front of us had the same idea at the conclusion of Stage 2.
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 51-103):
- Brandon Brown started 18th, finished 13th.
- Brown knew he had to go hard at the beginning of the run as passing was not easy once the field got strung out, he quickly improved to 15th and began chasing down his competitors. The fuel window to make it to the end of the race was on lap 63 and the differing strategies allowed the No. 86 team to spend time in the top-10 prior to their final pit stop.
- Following the 2-tire stop, Brown would get lapped by the 00 of Cole Custer (who was in his own zip code) and luckily less than 20 seconds later, the yellow flag flew resulting in Brown receiving the free pass, putting him back on the lead lap.
- After avoiding one incident and a blur of potential others in the closing laps, Brown would bring home the No. 86 Vector Security/Open Eye Video Chevrolet home in 13th. Matching his best career and season finishes that he achieved at both Atlanta and Dover.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is in the LTi Printing 250 on Saturday June 8th at Michigan International Speedway. The race starts at 1pm EST with live coverage provided by FS1.