Race Recap for the MoneyLion 300
Sunday April 28th, Race Recap
Date: April 27, 2019
Event: MoneyLion 300 (Round 9 of 33)
Location: Talladega SuperSpeedway (2.66 Mile Oval)
Format: 113 laps in three stages (25 laps/25 laps/63 laps)
Start/Finish 32nd/15th (completed 113/113 laps)
Point Standing: 17th (164 points, 109 out of the playoffs)
Race Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 1 Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing
Stage 2 Winner: Noah Gragson of JR Motorsports
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-25):
- Brandon Brown started 32nd, finished 13th.
- Brandon Brown returned to the No. 86 after a one week hiatus. Qualifying did not go as planned as the team tried something new and it backfired, leaving Brown starting 32nd. He quickly moved inside the top-20 by lap 6.
- Brown found himself in the outer most lane and after a caution on lap 8 Brown restarted 23rd. Again he quickly moved up, this time inside the top-15. Brown picked off a few more cars prior to the end of stage 1; ending up 13th when the green-checkered flew.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 26-50):
- Started 6th, finished 34th.
- Brown restarted in the sixth position and was working well with the 23 car. NASCAR black-flagged the two for “locking bumpers” which is penalty at NASCAR’s discretion. Following the pass-through penalty, Brown was knocked again for exiting pit lane too soon.
- Brandon worked hard to find a group of cars to work with so he didn’t go a second lap down. He rode around and patiently waited for the end of the second stage where we were awarded the lucky dog (Free Pass).
Stage 3 Recap (Lap 51-113):
- Started 32nd, finished 15th.
- The mayhem was about to pick up at Talladega Superspeedway and Brown was right up in the mix; working his way back inside the top-15 prior to a major accident entering turn 3 that he narrowly escaped.
- On the ensuing restart another accident took place. Again, Brown narrowly missed the incident, placing him seventh with just two laps remaining.
- The No. 86 crew was ecstatic with high hopes entering the restart. But with no help behind to draft, Brown fell back outside the top-10 and had to settle for a disappointing 15th place effort.
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Allied Steel Buildings 200 on Saturday May 4th at Dover International Speedway in Dover, DE. The race starts at 1pm EST with live coverage provided by FS1.